Sunday, September 9, 2012

Double-Nine Day

246
Double-Nine Day

                I looked at the calendar this morning to see what day it was (I knew it was Sunday, but I just didn’t know what number day), and it said ‘Grandparents Day.’  I choked up a little bit, having lost both my grandma and grandpa within the last year.  It wasn’t easy and quick, either.  The fact is that I was actually kind of relieved when they died, because I knew they would feel so much better in Heaven.
                In China, it’s called Double-Nine Day (9/9), and it’s a day to celebrate old people.  That’s right, they do that there.  It makes sense to me, but in America, people get so embarrassed about their age, and I just don’t understand why.  Sure, it sucks getting old, but why would you be embarrassed to tell people your age?  When I’m old, I’m going to be like, “Hell yeah, I’m 96!”  Anyway, I think it’s cool how they honor old people with a special day in China.
                Both of my grandparents lived good, long lives, and were a huge part of my life.  I’m very thankful to have had them for as long as I did, and I can’t wait to see them again when I die.  I miss them so much; I’m on the brink of tears just writing this.  I love them so much that I can’t even put it into words.  I hope I can be as good of a parent and grandparent as they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment