Sunday, October 28, 2012

Data Burnout

508
Data Burnout

                I got my iPhone about thirty days ago, as today is the last day of my data plan for the month.  My plan allows me to use two gigabytes of 3G data per month, and at the beginning of today I had only used about six hundred megabytes, so I had 1.4 more gigabytes that I could burn through before I get two more tomorrow.  So far, I have used about 250 megabytes today, basically from downloading tens of apps just because I could.  For example, I downloaded six free tuners from the app store, and eventually deleted all of them after buying a high quality one for $3.99.  I also downloaded a dog whistle, the YouTube app, doodle jump full version, fall down, and blogger. 
                I see myself being left with incredible amounts of data at the end of each month, so this mass downloading to finish off the month will probably become an addicting habit for me.  This small usage of data on my part also tells me that I can afford to watch some YouTube videos, which I was initially very wary of because of the large amounts of data they consume.  Honestly, my parents could save ten bucks a month by only getting me one gigabyte per month, but I don’t think they especially care.  Besides, my sister also gets her own two gigabytes per month, but a few days ago my mom actually got an email saying that she had surpassed fifty percent of her monthly allowance, and this is because she downloads gobs of stupid games.
                I actually end up deleting at least half the apps I download, because I either get a better one that does the same thing, or the app doesn’t do what I expected it to.  Another thing to take into consideration when getting apps is that the iPhone only has a certain amount of memory, for mine it is eight gigabytes, the smallest amount.  For the new iPhone 5, I believe that the smallest one is sixteen gigabytes, but it may actually be thirty-two.  A lot of this is used for the software and such, so my iPhone 4 only started with 6.37 gigabytes of available memory.  I still have 5.1 gigabytes leftover, and I don’t think I’ll ever use the full eight gigabytes.  My largest memory consumer is my music, which I currently have 104 megabytes of, followed by twitter with 84.9 MB and facebook with 74.4 MB.
                Anyway, I am really looking forward to using more of my data next month, and I feel like I am bathing luxuriously in my incredible amount of data.  I find it quite excessive that some people feel that they need ten gigabytes of data per month.  I mean, you have got to be totally attached to the thing, downloading loads of YouTube videos, movies, TV shows, music videos, Pandora, etc.  I guess if you did all those things you could get to ten gigabytes.  That’s probably why there is also the unlimited data plan for an extreme price!

No comments:

Post a Comment