Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Science of Writing

403
The Science of Writing

                Language arts, especially writing, is a subject in school that comes much less naturally to me than math and science.  I feel much better when there is a clear correct answer, and a methodical way to do things, or to use your creativity to do it a new way, but still knowing that everything I’m doing is right.  It gives me peace of mind that I have completed the problem to perfection, and that I am totally correct.  However, when writing, there seems to be an overwhelmingly infinite number of ways to convey your ideas, and just as many, probably more, ways to write poorly.  Writing is a much more subjective subject, which bothers me, because I sometimes don’t agree with another person, or don’t see what they see. 
                The good news is that I have recently discovered that writing is actually much more methodical and follows a pattern more than I thought, and it is through aspects such as diction, sentence structure, tone and style.  A well-written essay is no longer a randomly thrown-together combination of words that is pleasing to read, in some people’s opinion.  I can now identify the elements of a good essay used by its author, and it is much easier for me to analyze and see why it is well written.  The most fascinating technique, in my opinion, is tone.
                Tone is the manner which the author portrays as he writes, and it is usually very clear, and is directed at achieving his purpose.  The tone shows the author’s personal attitude toward his subject, and whatever he is writing about.  For example, if the author writes with a tone of indignation, he is writing subjectively, and is probably influencing your thoughts to believe that the subject or events he is describing are unfair and unjust.  If he uses a tone of satire, then he is wittily critiquing his subject, and is pointing out, through sarcasm, the flaws of his subject. 
                These aspects and elements of writing such as tone have become familiar to me, and now I think of writing as a much more mathematical and logical process.  After gaining this knowledge, it is much easier for someone like me to write strategically, using these new tools to write more eloquently and more effectively.  I am looking forward to learning even more about specific techniques used by world-class authors to improve my own writing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment