Sunday, December 16, 2012

12/21/2012, Part II

427
12/21/2012, Part II

                In all seriousness, though, I really am dreading the events that will be coming this week fueled by the end of the Mayan calendar on Friday.  We’ve already been barraged by the media in response to the events in Connecticut the other day, which I have from the start tried to shield myself from.  I haven’t watched any news about it on TV, I have averted my gaze from any news about it on the internet; the only information I have seen was from Facebook and Twitter.  All my friends, whether in genuine sympathy or not, love to jump on the tragedy bandwagon.  I think that for many of them it’s purely for attention, or to make them look like better people, but whatever, maybe not. 
                Anyway, one of the only things I’ve read in length about it was Morgan Freeman’s statement, because it was on #Discover on Twitter.  One point that he made really made the whole thing worth reading.  It’s not like it was a very long statement, either.  He said that he hates the way that the media blows this kind of thing up, making the shooter or killer seem like a total celebrity.  We will always remember the killer’s names, but not the victims’.  But the major thing was that this just encourages other psychos to try to top this, as some news networks are saying that this is “the worst killing since Virginia Tech.”  I agree with Morgan that none of these tragedies are any worse than any other. 
                I will be going to Chicago on Wednesday, and we will come back Saturday night.  I’m a little scared because this is a BIG place, capable for a BIG attack in precession of the ‘end of the world.’  I just hope that nothing crazy happens in whatever place I happen to be in, at whatever time.  I think that I’ll probably be okay, because I’m going to a huge music event, so a crazy would probably rather go downtown have more targets.  I should probably check out where this thing is before I say that, because there’s a good chance that it is downtown!  Hopefully, with plenty of prayers across the world, nothing too nuts will happen this week, and hopefully no one will try to ‘make it’ the end of the world on Friday.  I could just see a terrorist attack from the Middle East coming right now.  It won’t happen, they probably hate the Mayans.  They took part in beating them down, so how much would they believe this whole prophecy?

1 comment:

  1. Luckily, we survived, but I'd also like to say I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that many people just throw their sympathy out during times of tragedy without actually knowing anything about it, and how although it seems to be all in kindness, it often seems to be fueled purely by selfishness.

    ReplyDelete