Sunday, December 2, 2012

Kitties!!

428
Kitties!!

                I often wonder what my cats think.  What is the extent of their mental capacity?  How well can they communicate with each other?  Why are they so forgiving?  Are these small animals even smart enough to think about this kind of thing?  I believe that my cats have the brains of infant humans, maybe even very small children, but they have much improved coordination and physical skills over their human counterparts.  They also have the innocence and forgiveness of a very small child; they love their people infinitely and are seemingly infallible creatures of God.
                However, I also think that each cat and other animal has its own unique personality, even if it’s not as distinct as the personality differences between humans.  For this reason, I believe that they are able to think on their own, which would help explain why they are sometimes so naughty; chewing up paper, eating off our plates, drinking out of the toilet, sleeping on the clean clothes, biting cables, etc. 
                My two cats’ names are Smoky and Leafy.  Smoky is a boy and Leafy is a girl.  My mom is a flute teacher, and about six years ago one of her students found Smoky in a forest in the back yard of her brother’s piano teacher’s house.  He was skin and bones; his ribs suck out and he looked days away from death.  She brought him home, and a few days later convinced my mom to have us adopt him.  He is the nicest animal I have ever seen, and I am obviously very glad that we decided to take him.  From our experience with playing with mouse toys with him, we have determined that he has poor eyesight, would greatly benefit from a pair of glasses, and thus was not a very good hunter.  But that’s okay, because now he lives the luxurious indoor life of a housecat.
                A few months after we adopted Smoky, Leafy came to our house, saw Smoky, and meowed at our door all day.  Every time the door opened for my mom’s students to come and go, she would run in, and Smoky would be inches behind her, chasing her around the room.  It was quite a disruption.  She stayed on our porch and yard for five days, through a straight twenty-four hours of thunderstorms, and we finally decided that we would take her in too.  Although I will probably never figure out the exact mental capabilities of my cats, I know that they are very smart, and they bring endless joy to my whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment