Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sawdust

Sawdust
421

                At my house, we are in the process of putting wood floors in on the top floor.  The workers have already completed my mom’s and dad’s bathroom and bedroom and most of the hallway.  What remains are my room, my sister’s room, my old room, and the bathroom.  The worst part about the whole process is how dirty and dusty it is.  First, they physically tear out the carpet, and the padded stuff underneath which I didn’t even know existed, to get to the wood.  Then, they had to put down some more thin wood because the surface must be ‘especially flat.’  They used a roaring chainsaw to cut these wood squares into the correct shapes for our house.  There is sawdust all over the upper floor, and actually a lot of it has migrated down to the first floor.
                After all this, they finally proceed to put the real wood floor down that you can actually see when it’s done.  However, during the first couple sections that they have completed, I have slept in my room upstairs, shrouded in sawdust and the smell that comes along with it.  Also, I almost forgot to mention that all the furniture from the rooms they have completed is in mine, my sister’s, and my old room, and there is literally no room to walk around.  I have to jump from outside of my room, through the door, and about four to five more feet onto my elevated bed.  And tonight, I have to assist my parents (really just my dad, as my mom watches) with moving all these furniture and dressers and such out of these four rooms and into the already-completed rooms, so the worker guys can do the flooring in the rest of the rooms over the next…God knows how many days, probably two or three, and then there is going to be new carpet on the stairs.
                My house is twenty years old, and we are just now replacing the carpet on the stairs and on the entire upper floor for the first time.  It doesn’t seem like a long time to me, because this is all I’ve ever known, but apparently that is a relatively long time to have carpet without replacing it.  As they already took the carpet off one of the steps, I saw how beaten down the under-padding stuff is, and I can see that we definitely needed to do this.  Anyway, wish me luck with my allergies and everything for the rest of the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment